First think is that if you have decided to do HTML to wordpress migration and want to migrate your current website into WordPress then it is a wise choice. WordPress is trusted by millions of people and businesses from all over the world. Now I will tell you about the detailed overview of how to go for this migration from any website to WordPress.
Migrating from Another CMS
If your website is already based on a CMS then you can use a WordPress plugin for migration process. You can check the WordPress Plugin Repository or look for some online tutorials.
Migrating from a Static Website
The task of manually migrating your website to WordPress is bit difficult and very important. By this you will get the following benefits :-
● You will have greater control over your site’s content.
● Migrating your site manually to WordPress will give you a solid understanding of WordPress features.
Building a Migration Plan
WordPress stores content in the form of posts and pages and organizes them using categories and tags. Thus the aim of our content reorganization plan is to structure it in terms of posts and pages and categorize them using tags and categories.
We will plan our new WordPress website Development under the following headings:-
● Reorganize Existing Content
● Choose the Right Web Hosting
● Plan New Site Structure
● Keep Track of SEO changes
● Contact Forms and Spam
● Pick a Theme
How to Do the WordPress Migration Process?
Below is the step by step process of WordPress migration plan:-
● Take a Backup of your current website.
● If you are installing WordPress in the same web host then create a maintenance page and rename is to index.html.
● Now install a fresh copy of WordPress.
● If you had created an index.html file in previous step then delete it now.
● Just log in to your WordPres dashboard and disable search engine visibility. This will prevent your content from the search engines until you organize your website properly.
● Now start importing the content from your previous CMS. Learn from the official WordPress codex to learn how to migrate from your CMS to WordPress.
● If you have been using a static site then you have to do it manually. You need to copy paste each page in your old website. Understand the difference between posts and pages as it will help you to organize your content better.
● Now after your content is imported you have to structure it. Create the required categories, sub-categories, widgets, tags and menus. After that organize your content accordingly. With this your content importing is completed.
● Now install the WordPress theme and the important plugins. Also install a contact form, anti-spam, backup and security plugin. You don’t need to install SEO plugin as WordPress’ inbuilt SEO is quite powerful itself.
● Now run and check your website through the Google Mobile Friendly Test and Page load Test. If the results are good that means your chosen WordPress theme is also good. This completes your quality assurance test.
● Now build a sitemap. Sitemaps are important part of any website. After you finish structuring your content, you can use any available sitemap generating plugin to quickly generate a sitemap of your WordPress site.
● Now fix all of the broken links.
Finally just go live and enable search engine visibility.
We have just discussed the overview and the process of doing WordPress migration. If you have made this decision of migrating to WordPress site then it is your one of the best decision. WordPress offers so many benefits and it can easily handle all of the requirements of a web master and website owner. After migrating, your WordPress site will definitely give you fruitful results and will bring more visitors and potential customers to your WordPress site thus boosting your business.